Friday, July 8, 2011

Goals

How am I doing with the goals I set for myself? Let's see:
1. Definitely doing more introspection and examining my life from God's perspective.
2. Spending more time connecting with friends.
3. More time praying, reading my Bible, studying God's Word and memorizing (not an easy thing for a 61 year old brain!)
4. Consistently exercising, increasing my jog time (this morning up to 14 minutes total jogging time, interspersed with 11 minutes of walking.)
5. Making my way through Les Miserables. (Although I confess that I have only been seriously reading for the past week, but now it has captivated me.) Book not in front of me but I am now up to Javert's story for anyone familiar with the book. I may start taking notes of all the Biblical analogies I see. It is an amazing story of redemption. (which Javert rejects and Jean Valjean embraces)
6. Slowing down to spend time with children and reacquaint myself with the wonderful stories for children (everyone should read them, even adults!). I have read The Rag Coat (have tissues handy!), Blueberries for Sal, and The Doorbell Rang (this borrowed from the library, but I HAVE to buy this book...thanks for the recommendation, Margy!) The last one hasn't been read to the grandchildren yet but it will be (accompanied by a batch of chocolate chip cookies...because nobody makes chocolate chip cookies like Grandma! [This is from the book...you have to read it. And there is a great lesson about preferring others over yourself in it.])
7.Okay, the house hasn't received the attention I would like, but there is still time for that. People first, things second!

Best of all this time is recharging me, and making me eager to return to the work I love, serving my church family. Almost seven years ago I reluctantly accepted the job as church secretary, sure that God was asking me to make this change in my life. It was a sacrifice of love and obedience because what I wanted to do was be a full-time grandma. But God gave joy in that obedience and I love each day that I go to "work". But joy became possessiveness and I found myself taking the reins from God as if "I can handle it now." And the result was incredible stress causing constant ocular migraines. I realized that nothing God calls us to causes stress so, after much prayer, decided that I needed to remove my hands from the reins and allow God once again to do the leading. I look forward to what He is doing in my life as well as others as I let Him be God. He is so much better at it than I.

No comments: